Lanie-James

Member Meeting All Star, Lanie James from Paycom, celebrates attending 10 SocialMedia.org meetings

Member Meeting All StarAhead of our 50th Member Meeting, we’re going to be spotlighting our top 10 Member Meeting All Stars — members who’ve attended the most Member Meetings during their time in the community.

Next up in the series is Senior Online Community Strategist Lanie James, who dove onto our list after attending Member Meeting 49 in Philadelphia this past July (we’re glad you made it, Lanie!). She shared how her first Member Meeting changed her idea of what a social media event could be and what she’s taken away from the meetings she’s attended since.

How would you describe your first SocialMedia.org Member Meeting?

Like a rainbow after a spring storm. It was as if the heavens opened to tell me I wasn’t alone in this “weird job,” and there were others I could learn from and receive feedback on common or similar challenges in the social media world. Pretty sure I also had a couple of uncool moments geeking out over who was attending.

Member Meeting

What are some of the biggest insights or “aha” moments you’ve taken away from Member Meetings and applied to your program?

The power of organized social care programs to reduce call volume and duplicated efforts. The surprise wins thanks to a strategic use of passive Reddit engagement. As social media evolves, how social teams stay agile and effective through flexibility within sometime rigid company cultures.

What are some of your favorite activities or memories from past Member Meetings?
I am grateful that I’ve been able to make both lasting professional connections and friendships, connecting with SocialMedia.org colleagues at other events. Disney World Member Meetings make for the best friendships… even when you get lost in the park.

Why do you make attending Member Meetings a priority?
The learning, connections, professional development, and the social proof we gain by learning from other brands.

What advice would you give to someone going to their first Member Meeting?
Jump in the conversation — even if it’s just to introduce yourself, ask a question, or contribute.

Meet members like Lanie at Member Meeting 50 in Chicago, October 8-9!

SocialMedia.org’s Member Meeting 50 is coming up October 8-9 in Chicago, and it’s going to be one of our best meetings yet — in large part to social media leaders like Lanie who bring so much energy and excitement to every meeting and conversation they join.

We’re so grateful for our All Stars and all our members who continue to make every meeting so special and unbelievably valuable. They’re the reason this community has been thriving for over a decade, and we can’t wait for what’s next!

Learn more about Member Meeting 50 here: https://socialmedia.org/community/meetings/mm50/

Lanie has been a member of SocialMedia.org at two different companies, starting in 2012. You can follow her on Twitter and connect with her on LinkedIn.