Member Meeting All Star, Dan Phelps from Wells Fargo, celebrates attending 21 SocialMedia.org meetings

Member Meeting All StarAhead of our 50th Member Meeting, we’re spotlighting our top 10 Member Meeting All Stars — members who’ve attended the most Member Meetings during their time in the community. To close this series, we chatted with Wells Fargo Head of Enterprise Social Media Dan Phelps — who took our top spot with a whopping 21 Member Meetings!

How would you describe your first SocialMedia.org Member Meeting?

Transformational. I clearly remember being [at a Member Meeting] in Dallas in 2011 and listening to a member speak to how she developed her executive advocacy program. That conversation formed the foundational thinking that led to the program we launched at T. Rowe Price. It was at that point that I realized the potential for this community to help us all succeed in social.

What are some of the biggest insights or “aha” moments you’ve taken away from Member Meetings and applied to your program?

• How to build a program generally — staff, governance, content approaches, agency engagements, and technology.
  • Watching the community switch holistically from organic approaches to paid.
  • Learning which technologies were valuable and which were dogs.
  • Learning potential ways to measure ROI of social.
  • How to manage a crisis for our brand in social.
  • Leveraging influencers effectively.

What are some of your favorite activities or memories from past Member Meetings?

All the places we went: the Swedish embassy, Boeing factory, Microsoft Campus, Starbucks headquarters, USS Nimitz (thank you Andy!), and Disney.

All the people (and animals) we met: Grumpy Cat, Hugh MacLeod, Seth Godin, Michael Dell, and Howard Schultz.

All of the friends we made!

Why do you make attending Member Meetings a priority?

Because there is no selling and because if you go there, you are among people who want to be there and learn about social media without agendas or prejudice.

What advice would you give to someone going to their first Member Meeting?

Be open to anything. Social media is a ‘teenager’ and clearly acting like one today. Channels are growing, being governed (and they clearly do not like being told what to do), and changing before our eyes. The only way to be successful is together, and I know that we could not have gotten as far and as fast without the support of so many in this community that I now call my friends.

Meet members like Dan at Member Meeting 50 in Chicago, October 8-9!

SocialMedia.org’s Member Meeting 50 is coming up October 8-9 in Chicago, and it’s going to be one of our best meetings yet — in large part to amazing social media leaders like Dan who bring so much social media prowess and enthusiasm to every conversation they join.

We’re so grateful for our All Stars and all our members who continue to make every meeting so special and unbelievably valuable. They’re the reason this community has been thriving for over a decade, and we can’t wait for what’s next.

Learn more about Member Meeting 50 here: https://socialmedia.org/community/meetings/mm50/

Dan Phelps has been a member of SocialMedia.org at two different companies starting in 2010. You can connect with him on LinkedIn and follow him on Twitter.