Last week we wrapped up our 2019 Leadership Retreat in Washington, D.C.
It was our fourth-ever retreat exclusively for Board Chairs who are leading their social media programs. 49 social media leaders got together with us in Washington, D.C. to talk about the things that are most important to their work right now and programs they're planning to implement in 2020 — plus we had an incredible, private briefing at the Pentagon and exclusive conversations with FTC Associate Director for Advertising Practices Rich Cleland and Axios CEO and co-founder Jim VandeHei and Media Reporter Sara Fischer.
We also held 11 Member-Led Discussions where SocialMedia.org Board Chairs explored tough questions, shared experiences, and got help with specific challenges they're facing.
Discussions were with:
- Pfizer's Chad Parizman on career paths and moving beyond social.
- Jenny Wilburn at INVISTA on interview strategies for social media talent.
- Lisa Klueppel at Exact Sciences on socializing social internally.
- Rachel Krupitsky from Penguin Random House on leading social media strategy across multiple brands.
- Nick Sucich from United States Postal Service on aligning multiple groups within social media to work cohesively.
- Laura Lee from Nestle Purina PetCare on how big brands can handle being targeted, including social media rumors and misinformation, pay-to-play and review sites.
- Shelby Khan at Cloudera on social media content trends for 2020.
- Heather D’Amico at Travelers on brand ambassador programs versus employee advocacy programs.
- Exxon Mobil's Jayme Meyer on preparing for 2020 elections.
- Marshall Wright from Funimation on how organic content drives engagement.
- American Power Electric's Josh Polk on best practices for leading a social care team.
Here are the brands who were there: Abbott, American Electric Power, Amtrak, Auto-Owners Insurance, Autodesk, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina, Boeing, Brookdale Senior Living, Brother International Corporation, Capital One, Chubb, Cloudera, Con Edison, Discovery Inc., Dominion Energy, Emory University, Exact Sciences, Exxon Mobil Corporation, Funimation, The Hershey Company, Honeywell, INVISTA, Johnsonville Sausage, Kimberly-Clark, LexisNexis, Marriott International, Merck, Navy Federal Credit Union, Nestle Purina PetCare, Nissan North America, Penguin Random House, PerkinElmer, Pfizer, Phillips 66, Prudential Financial, Publix Super Markets, Raising Cane’s, Securian Financial, TE Connectivity, Thomson Reuters, Toll Brothers, Toyota, Travelers, Trend Micro, UL LLC, United States Postal Service, VF Corporation, Whirlpool Corporation, and Zurich North America.
Stay tuned for details on our winter Board Meeting, which will be this February on the west coast.