Last week we wrapped up our 45th SocialMedia.org family reunion at the Winter Member Meeting in Orlando.
242 Social media leaders from 129 brands got together to talk about the things that are most important to their work right now.
Here are the brands who were there: 3M, AARP, Ace Hardware, American Electric Power, American Family Insurance, American Greetings, Amgen, Amica Mutual Insurance, Amtrak, Analog Devices, Arrow Electronics, Asurion, AT&T, Auto-Owners Insurance, Autodesk, Avery Products, BBVA Compass, Big Lots, BJ's Wholesale, Blizzard Entertainment, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina, Boeing, Bosch, Brother International, Cancer Treatment Centers of America, Capital One, Cargill, CarMax, Charles Schwab, Chevron, Cisco, Citrix, The Coca-Cola Company, ComEd, Costco Wholesale, Darden, Delaware North, Dell, DICK'S Sporting Goods, Discover Financial, Discovery Communications, Dominion Energy, Eli Lilly and Company, Enbridge, Enterprise Holdings, FedEx, Ferguson Enterprises, First American Financial, First Republic Bank, Garmin International, General Dynamics, Georgia-Pacific, Great Clips, H&R Block, Hallmark, Hawaiian Electric Industries, Henry Schein, HERE, The Hershey Company, Hess Corporation, Highmark, Honeywell, Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, HSBC, Illumina, INVISTA, Johnson & Johnson, Johnsonville Sausage, Kaiser Permanente, KB Home, Keurig Green Mountain, KeyBank, Kia Motors, Kindred Healthcare, Kohl's Department Stores, The Kroger Company, Lenovo, Logitech, Luxottica, Mayo Clinic, McAfee, Medtronic, MGM Resorts, Mohawk Industries, Monsanto, NCR Corporation, Nissan North America, Northwestern Mutual, Novartis, Office Depot, Owens-Illinois, Panasonic, Papa John’s, Paychex, PerkinElmer, Pfizer, Philips, Phillips 66, PNC Financial Services, Raytheon, Red Lobster, Rite Aid, Royal Bank of Canada, Rust-Oleum, Safelite AutoGlass, Santander Bank, ServiceNow, State Farm, Subaru, T. Rowe Price, TE Connectivity, Thomson Reuters, Thrivent Financial, The TJX Companies, Toyota, TransUnion, Travelers, Trend Micro, Ultimate Software, United Technologies Corporation, UnitedHealth Group, Universal Parks, UPS, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Vanguard, VF Corporation, Voya Financial, Wells Fargo, and Zurich North America.
We heard 24 Show & Tell presentations from fellow SocialMedia.org members, all senior social media leaders at big brands.
They shared stories about projects they had led, challenges they had faced, what went well, what didn’t work, and what they hope to do next. We heard from:
- Universal Park's Eric Gray on lessons learned and tips for how to plan, launch, and operate an internal brand newsroom.
- Christine Rich on how American Greetings leans into human insights and its brand purpose to authentically connect with consumers.
- Discover Financial Services' Brian Hornstein on their approach taken to implement a social media risk management framework and the methods to identify, evaluate, and mitigate social media risk.
- Nissan's Anne McGraw on their overall experience and lessons learned from using Facebook Live abroad.
- Meghan Baker on how Alamo Rent A Car used strategic social media content and influencer marketing to extend their value proposition beyond the car rental transaction.
- Katie Lohec from Chevron about engaging employees in a compliant culture — from pitching the business value of employees on social media, to navigating company-wide development and spurring a cultural shift in the organization.
- Sarah O'Grady from Lenovo on how to stand out while fitting in the feed — demonstrating how they rebranded and repositioned to create a unified voice on their social channels.
- Johnsonville Sausage's Stephanie Dlugopolski with tips on building a scalable social holiday campaign that customers and consumers alike want to engage in.
- Casey Hall with Thomson Reuters on how they built a robust employee advocacy content strategy.
- Britt Farrar from CarMax on how a real-time Twitter response created a viral moment and resulted in a two-point lift in brand awareness.
- The Kroger Company's Jorie Mark on their experience hosting an influencer Brand Immersion Day.
- Amanda Kelly with Arrow Electronics on how they scaled global with a tiny social media team.
- Amtrak's Andy Jasenak on how they showcase their brand in social media by leveraging user-generated content.
- American Family Insurance's Tom Buchheim on what it takes to create and maintain a social CEO program.
- Cargill's Sue Serna on empowering your social team to succeed with or without you.
- Chad Parizman from Pfizer on ditching your agency of record.
- Tisa Sinclair on how AARP stood up their social care function on Facebook, blending skill sets from multiple business units.
- HSBC's Melinda Woods on social media governance on a global scale — focusing on getting governance right and creating consistency.
- Derek Schoen on how MGM Resorts teamed up with Facebook to turn website visitation into highly personalized retargeting ad experiences for room bookings, dining reservations and loyalty sign-ups.
- Lauren Papasidero from Subaru on maintaining organic engagement on Facebook through user-generated content.
- Novartis' Gloria Vanderham on how they amplified patient voices by using specific storytelling techniques and audience-centric campaigns across digital and social media.
We also heard three keynotes from brilliant minds on topics relevant to anyone and everyone in the social media sphere.
Bestselling authors Dan Pink, Nilofer Merchant, and Roger Dooley shared their knowledge on themes in social media strategy, powerful forces in business, and success.
You won’t want to miss the next opportunity to have face-to-face conversations with people like you at brands like yours.